Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ultra Mega Mondo Post

Bear with me as I try and recollect the past 48 hours. Hollywood was a bordering on life changing experience. All because of In-N-Out Burger. I woke up in LA to an empty bus. Guess I slept in way later than the rest of the guys and felt rather "ditched", because I knew they were all out livin' it up on "the strip".

But, as chance would have it, I ran into our merch guy Nick lurking outside the club and convinced him to walk down Sunset to the nearest In-N-Out Burger. As we meandered down the bustling byway, he prepared me for the glory that was to come.

"Let me prep you for what's about to go down." Nick said.
"Uhh, okay?" I quipped, unaware of the knowledge that was about to be dropped.
"You're gonna walk in there, and its gonna be crowded as fuck. But trust me, you'll be glad you waited. You're gonna order a Double-Double, and you're gonna love it. The fries are meh, don't bother. They're all about the fresh never frozen meat from California only cows. They DON'T fuck around." he touted.
"Fuuuck." - It was all I had.

On the way he pointed out numerous locations of minor fame. Some restaurant that was on VH1's Rock of Love, the Hollywood Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Mesa Boogie store, etc.

We arrived at In-N-Out and it was everything I dreamed it could have been. Phenominal. I apparetiate their simple menu approach and their deep food trays. This creates a perfect environment for catching those loose fries. Yea, I ordered them. In hindsight, I should listened to Nick.

We stopped in the Guitar Center on the way back. Had fun checking out the famous musician hand prints in the vestibule area. Ozzy Osbourne's hands are small as fuck, and Ronnie James Dio imprinted his hands while throwing up the horns. As far as the store goes, it was pretty run-of-the-mill. Same overpriced designer gear.

Got back to the venue for load in, sound checked, then meet up with my good friend Adam who attends film school out in Orange, CA. A bunch of people of Nuclear Blast Records came out to meet us for the first time, as well as our booking agent. All cool as hell.

The show was good. To be honest it was just amazing to play the House of Blues. Fuck.

Afterwards, all the bands ended up at the Rainbow Room. We showed up and who should be there but the Hedgehog himself, Ron Jeremy. He was partying it up with who Adam pointed out as the girls from the HBO show called The Cathouse. Lots of people where bothering him for pics and such, so we left him be, until he was on his way out. Then I snapped a shot of him and Jerry from Primordial and just met him. Nice dude. Kinda limp handshake, but I'll let it slide. Cause he's Ron fucking Jeremy.

I think it was the only night on the whole tour where everyone from all the bands went out to drink together. Good times. Irreplaceable memories.

The San Marcos show was kind of a crapshoot. In some respects, the tour ended in Hollywood. Most of the other bands agree that the tour should have ended that Sunday in Hollywood. The club in San Marcos was a tiny 300 capacity bar. When we arrived we were told it was an all ages event only until 10pm. So we had to push the whole tour package early so that all the kids would get to see Korpiklaani. So we did. And we played to my friend Adam (again) and Gordy (another old friend from school), the Moonsorrow guys, half of Primordial, and half of Korpiklaani. Do you know what its like to be on the bill, and play for 15 minutes, and the only people there are the other band's and their girlfriends? Then you realize there's a million of these Jimmie Wing bone-smugglers. These guys are running the industry, and they don't know a DAMN thing about rock 'n roll!

So yea. THEN, turns out the venue was never all ages at all. So all the underage people who came out (probably about 60% or more of the ticket sales) literally watched from the back doors and windows of the bar. They really got the shaft. So not only did they get screwed, but so did all the bands by forcing everyone to play earlier than normal for apparently no reason. Total dipshit promoter. I can almost guarantee you that Paganfest, or any other killer Euro band for that matter, will never be there again.

The good news is, I had Jack in the Box for breakfast, Taco Bell for lunch with my friends, and then Jack in the Box again for dinner. Reminds me of the date in Mokena where I had Denny's for breakfast, White Castle for lunch, and then Denny's again for dinner. I have notcied that the "fast" aspect of fast food in places outside New Jersey, but in particular California, to be less than accurate. Perhaps I'm being overly critical (I probably am), but it just seems that fast food gets into my hands so much quicker in Jersey. On the plus side, the "food" aspect of fast food is still accurate.

Following the completion of the final Paganfest date, all the bands hung around in the back of the venue playing some form of rudimentary football (aka soccer) and/or American football (aka football). Long goodbyes were said. I know we will cross paths with Korpiklaani sooner rather than later as we'll be supporting them again on the Paganfest II euro tour in September, but I'm not sure when we'll have the pleasure of seeing our boys and gal in Blackguard, or Primoridal, or Moonsorrow again. We boarded our seperate buses, and were off to LAX, where I still sit awaiting my flight to Munich. Lets see what you've got Europe.

Backstage Beer Info:
Hollywood:
Budweiser

San Marcos:
Budweiser (fml)

~RedRum