Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Haarlem


This country to chalk full of beautiful architecture. That is Saint Bavokerk Cathedral in Haarlem's town square. I wish I could immerse myself more in cities like this. Call me a nerd, but I'm instantly reminded of the Zelda game franchise and the land of Hyrule. Fuck these ancient market town's rule.

This has been a great show overall. I was getting a very good vibe right off the bat when I woke up and realized that the bus was parked inside some sort of structure. The venue (Patronaat) actually has a garage in the rear so that two tour buses can park a secure zone. What a novel idea. Normally our buses are parking in shady back alleys or fifteen minutes away from the venue, so this is great.

The club itself is very nice and Dutch people in general seem to be incredibly friendly. They collectively, as a nation, ride bikes. Apparently bike riders get the right of way even over cars here. Leave it to the freaky deaky Dutch. Ian, Gaz, and I walked around the town square a bit and saw the sites. I have noticed that The Netherlands, at least this area, is big on toy stores. I counted four within the few blocks we walked. This impresses me. I am equally impressed with the selection of Lego products contained within said stores. Let me take this opportunity to say "fuck you" to all of the Lego haters out there. Real men play with plastic bricks.

I was almost dragooned into going to Hamburg's red light district last night. I went to McDonald's and had a Big Tasty Bacon instead. In retrospect, I probably should have gone for the debauchery. Alestorm came back with slippers with little stuffed penises on them. I'm not sure any sandwich can compete with that. Well, maybe Wendy's Baconator...

Backstage Beer Info:
Haarlem:
Dommelsch Pilsner

Cheers
~RedRum